College counselling at International School of Hellerup usually comprises one-to-one meetings with students, combined with group coaching sessions in their advisory classes (organised via the respective Advisory Teacher). Guidance is offered from MYP5 through to DP1 and DP2.
During MYP5, students are encouraged to think about their future career choices.
- Between August and December, they usually meet me at least once to talk about their future career options. I give them an introduction to the various application systems and guidance on how to get started on their research.
- In January, students are asked for their preliminary subject choices for the Diploma Programme, and can have follow-up meetings with me, to check they are on the correct pathway.
- Students make their final subject choices in early June.
During this year, students are encouraged to discuss with their parents what they are interested in studying, where and when.
During DP1, students can continue their research into where they wish to study and which programmes they would like to apply for.
- Between August and October, students are encouraged to meet me at least once.
- Between January and May, they can arrange meetings on a need basis.
It is recommended that students use time during this year to research their funding and scholarship opportunities.
During this final year, students meet me regularly and I support them through every stage of their applications.
- During August & September, students are asked to double-check their application deadlines and make sure they are aware of documentation requirements (recommendation letters, personal statements, predicted grades and visas).
- Between August and March, relevant entrance tests need to be booked and paid for by the student.
Students can also seek guidance from Studievalg, regarding applications to Danish universities.
Prospective and existing parents are welcome to contact me by email. I have first-hand personal and professional experience of the UK, Danish and IB educational systems and am happy to respond to questions regarding subject choices, career pathways, university applications and what it is like to study for the IB Diploma, compared with other high school options.
I look forward to working with and supporting your child at ISH.